The uniqueness of Zenterio’s Linux based operating system has its origin in Nokia’s vision from the 1990s. Interactivity, speed and hardware independence has always been the guiding principles for developing Zenterio Products.
True Independence for TV Operators
Zenterio’s uniform operating system makes TV operators independent in their choices of hardware, middleware and back- end solutions. This freedom of choice helps them avoid both vendors dictating the rules and overly complicated non standard solutions. With Zenterio OS operators are free to focus on service development as an independent business driver rather than staying locked in by current ecosystem limitations. Zenterio OS is built with minimal dependency on other partners. The system features an extensive framework architecture, which enables fast adaptations to market needs and introductions of new “must have” features.
World Class Performance on Millions of Boxes
In the early phases of development in the 1990’s Nokia faced tough hardware limitations. This lead to an in depth analysis and search for the optimal architecture and programming language. Nokia chose an event based approach and C++. At the time this was a bold decision, years ahead of competition. The modular capability and the strict use of limited software abstraction layers resulted in a product that has given Zenterio a strong reputation for providing a world class performing software.
Performance has been at the core of each new generation of Zenterio OS, enabling the operator to make the most out of whichever hardware they deploy. Zenterio has improved the performance of legacy set-top boxes in harmonisation projects and created opportunities for TV operators to offer services not previously believed to work on a particular hardware. This significantly improves revenue generation from new services as they can be offered to the entire customer base. Performance continues to be the corner pillar for development of Zenterio OS. This focus has made Zenterio OS the core of millions of rock stable set-top boxes in the global market.
Swap-out of Existing Software
Having worked on most of the deployed chipset in the market for the last 10 years Zenterio OS has a unique ability to replace proprietary operating systems used by other manufactures. For an operator to reap the full benefits of a harmonization of operating systems, Zenterio OS can be deployed not only on new set-top boxes, but also to the base of boxes already in use by the operator’s customers. Zenterio can, through a unique offering called “swap-out”, remotely replace proprietary operating systems that are already in use. The swap-out is a vital part of Zenterio’s total offering and highly appreciated by pay-TV operators stuck with a diversified base of propitiatory STBs in their customer base.
The Legacy swap-out is a core component for most of our larger customers and often one of their key enablers for venturing into service profitability. We expect this to grow in demand as the problems caused by the current parallell proprietary systems in combination with an increased service roll-out demand becomes more evident for the operators.
Leveraging the Service Explosion
A unified software platform for an operator means a far better environment for application development. Zenterio maintains several application interface technologies, which give the operator an open choice of how to build and deliver services. In cases where limited hardware is available native applications most often improve performance significantly. Different browsers provide different benefits and Zenterio supports several major browsers, including Opera, Web Kit and Ekioh. For third party application developers Zenterio offers an application interface. As part of the application interface Zenterio also offers tools and libraries to developers. Further development of these tools, libraries and interfaces are crucial in order to incentivize the application development community. Today, operators who have selected Zenterio OS already benefit from the interest from major application companies who wish to offer their services to the TV screen. Zenterio believes this will be key to keep creating great value to both Zenterios customers as well as Zenterio itself since these applications will independently add value to the offer provided by the Zenterio OS.
Embracing Social TV
The introduction of social media has been a game shifter for how media is consumed online and is already changing the pathways of how users discover new content. Its rapid evolvement can also serve to illustrate the ever changing environment that tomorrow’s operators have to adapt to in order to keep their current customers. Without a solution that allows for rapid service deployment and a structure to embrace the infrastructure that Social media creates, TV operators will be stuck on the sideline in tomorrow’s competitive landscape.
The Zenterio OS represents the key tool in order to transform increasing internet connectivity and rapid service evolvement from a threat into an unparallelled opportunity for growing revenues and increasing customer loyalty.
Technical Highlight (Zenterio OS)
Broadcast Delivery & Media Formats:
- Full support for the DVB-C, T, S / S2 and IP-TV Standards also ATSC and ISDB support.
- Full support for SD and HDTV. MPEG-2, H264 / AVC, HDMI, HDCP and Multi Channel Audio formats.
Zenterio OS runs on the Major Hardware Platforms:
- ST Microelectronics 55xx, 51xx, 71xx including the 7105 chipset.
- Broadcom chipset solutions.
- NXP chipset solutions.Mstar K-seriesSigma chipset solutions
Flexible Hardware Configuration Support:
- True Multi Tuner and Demodulator Support.
- Full PVR and HDD support over SATA or USB interfaces.
- Flexible Digital and Analog A/V Output Configurations, including: Scart, HDMI, S/PDIF Optical & Coaxial.
- Advanced Support for Front Panels and Microcontrollers: Buttons, LED’s, Matrix and 7 Segments displays and different Remote Control Layouts.
Conditional Access Systems:
- Easy to interface with Nagra, Conax, CI, CI+, Cryptoguard, Viaccess, ABEL DRM, Securemedia and many other CAS systems.
- Easy Integration of Embedded CA Systems.
- PPV, VOD and NVOD support through selected CAS
Software and DVB features:
- Runs on the Major Operating Systems – STMicrosystems OS-21, Broadcom and Linux.
- Over The Air Software Update (Bootloader / Code download).
- Awarded Market Leading fast Channel Zapping Times.
- Single Step Automatic Channel Scan as well as Full Manual Tuning.
- Automatic Detection of Channel Table Changes.
- Full DVB subtitling and digital Teletext support – Web like browsing among Teletext pages.
- Entirely implemented in C++, very easy to maintain and port.
- Support for Multiple Favorite Lists with custom labels and Logical Handling and Sorting of Channels.
- Complete OSD Diagnostics View for factory & users
- Unlimited Timers / Reminders for Channel Changes and Recording.
- Parental Control (Locks) for Channels, Receiver and parental Tagged Services.
- One button access to Subtitling and Stereo / Multichannel Audio Options.